Posted: March 17th 2010
I’m a basketball fan, and like many of you, I’m looking forward to the NCAA Tournament to get underway. Just for fun you can check out my bracket—and add your own—on my website. The winner of my bracket challenge will receive free Thune Gear.
As excited as I am about the tournament, it seems that this year President Obama, Speaker Pelosi and Senator Reid are going to introduce a whole new level of March Madness.
While the national obsession with bracketology is literally fun and games, the Democrats’ plan to force through health care “reform” is all too serious.
Here’s the latest (though I hate to report, it’s more of the same):
Democrat leaders continue to write their health care reconciliation bill behind closed doors. While they are NOT working with Republicans, they are continuing to negotiate secret deals with their favorite special interests.
Please take a moment to help stop their health care bill. Sign my petition against using reconciliation.
Lobbyists and Labor Unions
Media reports indicate Democrats were working overtime this weekend with pharmaceutical lobbyists to craft language that would benefit a few huge companies. Pharmaceutical companies previously struck a related deal with the White House. They report the President promised to protect their interests if they would publicly support his bill. And today those pharmaceutical companies began to payback Obama, Pelosi and Reid by purchasing TV ad time meant to protect vulnerable Democrats.
Labor unions and their lobbyists continue to push for exemptions from the new taxes on health insurance. Democrats want to use reconciliation to pay off these union bosses—making sure they don’t have to pay the tax that will be forced upon other American families.
And though we don’t know exactly what happened behind closed doors—Democrats went to great lengths to protect trial lawyers by blocking medical lawsuit reform.
Backroom Deals for Democrats
Democrats MIGHT try to remove the “Cornhusker Kickback”—a special deal given to Senator Nelson to win over his vote in December. But their bill is FULL of other special deals for endangered Democrats. Politico reports that none of these other special deals “appear to be in any kind of danger.”
Some of the backroom deals include:
Please sign the petition and do your part to stop the Democrats’ March Madness.
- The “Louisiana Purchase”: a $300 million special deal for Louisiana. [Bill page 428]
- “Gator Aid”: a provision that protects Florida seniors from Medicare cuts. Seniors in all 49 other states will see benefits cut under this bill. [Page 878]
- Increased Medicaid payments to Hawaii—a benefit that will be paid for by the other 49 states. [Page 2132]
- Special Medicare coverage for the people of Libby, MT. That’s right, a special provision for the people of one town. [Page 2222]
- $100 million to construct a hospital in Connecticut. [Page 2354]
- An exemption from new taxes for ONE Michigan insurance company. [Page 2394]